Passionate, responsible and committed software developer, with a driven mindset and a passion for code. With much experience in designing, implementing and adapting technically sophisticated online web applications.
Professional Ruby & Rails Blogger — Current
- I’ve been writing educational blogs for many years at 6ftdan.com . One of the companies I freelance for is Codeship.com . I write about many technologies, programming languages, and personal development topics.
Undisclosed Startup — 2014 - 2016
The Minitest Cookbook — Technical Proof Reader — 2015
- Chris Kottom authored the book “The Minitest Cookbook” — with three weeks to go until it was due to be published I read through the book twice giving editing advice on each iteration.
RailsRumble — 2014 & 2015
- 2014: As part of a code competition I built an interface for scraping YouTube videos and wrote some helper methods to take advantage of creating embedded website videos. Also one of the core developers for Rails in the project.
- 2015: 48 hours with a team of people I’d never previously worked with we built TrenderCast which is a podcast subscription and trends system. This product was my vision and I was the primary Rails developer on this project with 3 others participating.
NetVersa ~ 2013
- Designed full website automation for popular sites using Watir and Watir-webdriver in the Ruby language.
Scholar Square - 2008
- Designed a script to pay all site members who’ve authored content; all appropriate fees for students memberships, and subscriptions, via the PayPal API using Python.
- Designed and deployed a full eCommerce website built on top of the Satchmo/Django framework using Python.
- Designed a basketball tournament ranking application which ranked teams on many different criteria. Designed my own flat file database system to keep records in CSV. This was used to rank a multi-day interstate basketball tournament.
Open Source Contributions
- Charity Rails development for Virginia Working Landscapes [link]. I’ve joined a team of developers in providing free software development for helping catalog living things in nature. This information can then be used to help determine issues and be of help to protect any living species that may be endangered.
- Minor contributions to several Open Source projects including Ruby, Rails, Crystal, RubyGems, RVM, Bundler, and OmniContacts
- Authored FasterPath – makes Ruby on Rails site run much faster by rewriting overly used path methods in Rust (a lower systems level language)
- Authored PolyBelongsTo – An advanced Rails – ActiveRecord relationship library.
- Authored DynaSpan – A Rails Ajax helper gem for creating dynamically modifiable text on web pages.
- Authored many other Open Source libraries available on Github.
- Open Source game released in 2002 called Py Connect Four written in Python using the PyGame SDL library
- Started in software development in 2001 as purely a self driven hobby. In 2008 I started earning income for some freelance software development work. As of 2014 I transitioned to developing software full time and creating educational content on programming languages and systems.
- Web Automation with: Continuous Integration, Mechanize, Nokogiri, Selenium, and Watir
- Moderate experience in: ActionCable, Agile, AJAX, Assembly, Bash, Batch, CGI, CMS, C++, Django, Docker, Encryption, FishShell, Metaprogramming, OpenSSL, PostgreSQL, RSS, Rust, Satchmo, SEO, SOLID, XML
- Studying: Algorithms, Rust, Crystal, CoffeeScript, WebSockets
- US English (Native)
- Spanish (Elementary proficiency)
- Japanese (Elementary proficiency)
- Clark Christian High School 2003
Contact Me: 6ftdan (at) gmail (dot) com